Friday, February 22, 2013

Back in the Land of Iskandar Muda

Oh wow, can't remember what was the last time I updated my blog. I am sure it's been many yearssince I left the US in 2010. I even almost forget that I have one. I remember I used to enjoy writing but then suddenly just lost the interest to write about anything. Perhaps I just had nothing interesting to share. Most of the time I was just mumbling when writing so I am particularly conscious about wasting other people's time when they read my blog. Deep inside I still want to continue this practice of writing. See, I even wrote a journal when I was young :) And what I don't like about writing is that I always feel embarrassed when I re read my writing, especially when talking about feeling. LOL. Where and how should I start? I should probably start by sharing where I have been hiding at the moment, in case there are some people out there wonder. Most probably none, hahaha as I am not that popular after all. But I will share anyway. 

I know I am back in Aceh because I have been drinking good quality coffee everyday - day and night and been eating nasi gurih and lontong for breakfast; nasi bungkus for lunch; mie aceh and tahu goreng for afternoon snacks and yummy Mom's asam keueng and sambalado for dinner. I am also happy that I am living under the same roof with my mom and dad again after good 7 years living independently. Although I do not see them as much as I want to except during weekend and a bit in the morning and  at night, I am still grateful that at least we are in the same time zone and just one phone call away with loca rate, LOL. And the best part is that we all eat my mom's cooking everyday. I still remember the time when I was calling them and they were all eating this yummy fresh fish stuff and I was sighing heavily on the other end as all I had for dinner was some left over pasta or something, LOL! Since I've been back - it's been 4 months now, I have only been to the beach 3 to 4 time. But the thought that I can just access the beach anytime I want is already a good feeling. Here is a picture of my favorite beach of Lampu'uk - about 15 mins drive from my family home in Aceh. 
Lampu'uk beach is serene with beautiful white sand. 


To be fair, I have to also share about the downsides of living in Aceh.  The worst is that I miss my friends. Not that I do not have friends in Aceh but most of my high school and college friends either they are out of Aceh or all now married with kids. Not that we don't get along but we have grown so much in different directions and our interests seem to be different too. They have become so serious now. I do coffee sometimes but there's still something that I miss. I still miss my close friends in the US and Timor-Leste. I actually counted on my oldest best friend - my sister - to save my life here in Aceh.  Hanging out with her was one of the selling points to take the job in Aceh but oh well...but just as soon I as I accepted my new posting in Aceh, my sister got a job offer in Jakarta. So in the end, I still can't enjoy hanging out with her. 



No comments: